Field-Adjustable Light Output
The DLC has temporarily suspended the qualification of new field-adjustable light output products against the requirements published as a part of Technical Requirements V4.3 in order to revise the policy. The DLC has issued a revised draft Testing and Reporting Requirements for products with field-adjustable light output capability as a part of Technical Requirements V4.4. The comment period is now closed. Scroll down to access the revised draft requirements documents.
Field-adjustable lighting products are a relatively new trend in commercial lighting where performance characteristics such as light output, color temperature, and optics can be adjusted by the manufacturer, distributor, or contractor before or during installation. This allows manufacturers and distributors to capture greater economies of scale and stock fewer SKUs, reducing manufacturing and distribution costs while providing customers greater flexibility. As of Monday, March 26, 2018, the DLC published Testing and Reporting Requirements for Field-Adjustable Light Output Products (see link below) and Color-Tunable Products only. The DLC has issued a policy proposal for Field-Adjustable Optics/Distribution as part of the V4.4 development effort.
Desired Outcomes and Benefits
New policy enables reliable and efficient field-adjustable lighting products to be qualified and listed on the DLC SSL QPL.
The policy inclues clear definition(s), performance criteria, and testing requirements to ensure listed products are high quality and energy efficient.
Energy efficiency program administrators and others support the installation of high quality, energy efficient field adjustable products in their lighting rebate or procurement programs.
Reduced manufacturing and distribution costs along with greater flexibility leads to greater market adoption of efficient lighting and increased customer satisfaction
Revised Draft Documents (as a part of Technical Requirements V4.4)
- Cover Letter: SECOND DRAFT Technical Requirements V4.4
- REVISED DRAFT Testing and Reporting Requirements for Dimmable Products Including Field-Adjustable Light Output Products
- REVISED DRAFT Field-Ajustable Light Output Comment Form
Second Draft Documents
- Cover Letter: SECOND DRAFT Technical Requirements V4.3
- SECOND DRAFT Testing and Reporting Requirements for Dimmable and Field-Adjustable Products
First Draft Documents
- Cover Letter: DRAFT Technical Requirements V4.3
- DRAFT Testing and Reporting Requirements for Dimmable and Field-Adjustable Products
- Key Technical Questions