Journal Article: Specifying non-white light sources in outdoor applications to reduce light pollution
- A call for the lighting industry to consider developing industry consensus definitions and standards for “amber" light sources.
- Methodology for expanding ANSI standard CCT chromaticity bins to include three new bins: 1800K, 2000K, and PC Amber.
- Discussion of why CCT alone is not an adequate representation of the spectral composition of light, and the wide range of potential impacts to sky glow.
- A call for additional research to address the fact that amber light sources are not a panacea: these wavelengths may still have negative consequences for some organisms depending on specific spectrum and exposure.
- An Excel calculator tool based on the IES TM-30 calculator, developed by the authors for non-white light specification. This tool determines the bin that the product under consideration falls into and is available to download here.