Field-Adjustable Light Distribution
Field-adjustable lighting products are a relatively new trend in commercial lighting where performance characteristics such as light output, color temperature, and optics can be adjusted by the manufacturer, distributor, or contractor before or during installation. This allows manufacturers and distributors to capture greater economies of scale and stock fewer SKUs, reducing manufacturing and distribution costs while providing customers greater flexibility. As of Monday, March 26, 2018, the DLC published Testing and Reporting Requirements for Field-Adjustable Light Output Products and Color-Tunable Products. This new V4.4 DLC policy proposal is for products where the optics or light distribution of the fixture, lamp, or retrofit kit can be adjusted in the field.
Desired Outcomes and Benefits
New policy enables reliable and efficient field-adjustable lighting products to be qualified and listed on the DLC SSL QPL.
The policy inclues clear definition(s), performance criteria, and testing requirements to ensure listed products are high quality and energy efficient.
Energy efficiency program administrators and others support the installation of high quality, energy efficient field adjustable products in their lighting rebate or procurement programs.
Reduced manufacturing and distribution costs along with greater flexibility leads to greater market adoption of efficient lighting and increased customer satisfaction
- October 1, 2018: Second Draft Policy released for stakeholder comment
- October 22, 2018: Second Draft Policy comments due
- March 7, 2019: Final Policy released
Second Draft Documents
- SECOND DRAFT Testing and Reporting Requirements for Field-Adjustable Light Distribution Products
- SECOND DRAFT Key Technical Questions
- SECOND DRAFT Field-Adjustable Light Distribution Products Comment Form
First Draft Documents
- Cover Letter: SECOND DRAFT Technical Requirements V4.4
- DRAFT Testing and Reporting Requirements for Field-Adjustable Light Distribution Products
- Key Technical Questions
- Field-Adjustable Light Distribution Products Comment Form