Transition to SSL V5 Requirements
The V5 Technical Requirements include two policies: V5.0 and V5.1, released in tandem on February 14, 2020. V5.0 contains new efficacy and dimming requirements and V5.1 contains quality of light requirements, including spectral quality and glare, and the remaining controllability requirements. Flicker requirements are not included in V5.0 and V5.1.
Where can I view the new Technical Requirements?
- Technical Requirements V5.0 are available here.
- Technical Requirements V5.1 are available here.
- Technical Requirements V4.4 will be available here until May 31, 2020, the deadline to submit new products under V4.4.
What is changing in V5.0?
Effective on February 18, 2020, V5.0 contains new efficacy and dimming requirements only. V5.0 increases the efficacy requirements across all product categories, and requires the vast majority of indoor luminaires and retrofit kits to be dimmable, providing increased energy savings and user satisfaction. View the full V5.0 requirements here.
What is changing in V5.1?
Effective on July 1, 2020, V5.1 begins to build a foundation for quality of light requirements, including spectral quality and glare requirements and the additional controllability requirements. View the full V5.1 requirements here.
When can I submit V5.0 and V5.1 applications?
- V5.0 applications may be submitted between February 18, 2020 and October 31, 2020.
- V5.1 applications may be submitted beginning on July 1, 2020.
- The timeline below provides more detail on when each application type will be accepted. An in-depth description of when each application type will be accepted is included in the V5.0 & V5.1 Manufacturer and Industry Guidance.
(click to enlarge)
How do I update my products to V5.0 or V5.1?
- V4.4 listed products must be updated to V5.0 or V5.1 by October 31, 2020, or they will be delisted on December 31, 2020.
- V5.0 listed products must be updated to V5.1 by October 15, 2021, or they will be delisted on December 31, 2021.
- V5.0 and draft V5.1 product update application forms are available on each Submit a Product page. Please note that V5.1 update applications may not be submitted until July 1, 2020, but a draft of the application form has been provided for your convenience if you would like to prepare submissions before the acceptance date. Please note that minor changes to the V5.1 form may be made prior to July 1, 2020.
When will V4.4 products be delisted?
If they have not been updated by October 31, 2020, V4.4 products that do not meet the V5.0 Technical Requirements will be delisted on December 31, 2020.
V4.4 listed products that already meet the full V5.0 Technical Requirements will be automatically updated to reflect V5.0 compliance on the QPL on March 30, 2020. No action is required by the manufacturer to perform this update. The DLC will be sending courtesy notifications to all listed manufacturers indicating which of their products are compliant with V5.0. For more details about automatic product updating, please see the V5.0 & V5.1 Manufacturer and Industry Guidance.
When will V5.0 products be delisted?
If they have not been updated by October 15, 2021, V5.0 products that do not meet the V5.1 Technical Requirements will be delisted on December 31, 2021. All V5.0 listed products must take action to update their products to V5.1 before the application deadline. V4.4 listed products may be updated directly to V5.1 using the V5.1 update application between July 1 and October 31, 2020. For more details about updating products to V5.1, please see the V5.0 & V5.1 Manufacturer and Industry Guidance.
How will product testing requirements change under V5.1?
Resources to help ease the transition to testing products for V5.1 will be provided below in the coming weeks.
- Testing Plan for Color Requirements [coming soon!]
- Example Test Reports for Color [coming soon!]
- Guidance for IES Files [coming soon!]
- TM-30 Guidance [coming soon!]
- Color Maintenance Guidance [coming soon!]
- Guide to Controllability Terminology [coming soon!]
- UGR Guidance [coming soon!]
The DLC is happy to assist you with the transition to Technical Requirements V5. Please email email@example.com or call 781-538-6425 and select Option 1 to be connected with the DLC applications team.