Transition to SSL V5 Requirements
The V5 Technical Requirements include two policies: V5.0 and V5.1, released in tandem on February 14, 2020. V5.0 contains new efficacy requirements and V5.1 contains quality of light requirements, including spectral quality and glare, and new controllability requirements. Flicker requirements are not included in V5.0 and V5.1.
April 28, 2020 Update
To address the continuing disruptions to daily operations and supply chains due to COVID-19, the original dimming requirements for V5.0 Standard products have been revised. Additionally, timelines for updating V4.4 products and V5.0 new product applications have been extended, as shown in the V5.0 and V5.1 Manufacturer & Industry Guidance document (view in Mandarin). View a short overview video summarizing the changes here. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Where can I view the new Technical Requirements?
- Technical Requirements V5.0 are available here.
- Technical Requirements V5.1 are available here.
- Technical Requirements V4.4 will be available here until May 31, 2020, the deadline to submit new products under V4.4.
What is changing in V5.0?
Effective on February 18, 2020, V5.0 contains new efficacy requirements only. V5.0 increases the efficacy requirements across all product categories, providing increased energy savings and user satisfaction. View the full V5.0 requirements here.
What is changing in V5.1?
Effective on July 1, 2020, V5.1 begins to build a foundation for quality of light requirements, including spectral quality and glare requirements and additional controllability requirements. View the full V5.1 requirements here.
How will product testing requirements change under V5.1?
The DLC has a variety of resources to ease the transition to testing products for V5.1, including comparison of requirements, guidance for formatting and submitting .IES files and test reports, clarification of definitions, and more.
When can I submit V5.0 and V5.1 applications?
- V5.0 applications may be submitted between February 18, 2020 and January 31, 2021.
- V5.1 applications may be submitted beginning on July 1, 2020.
- The timeline below provides more detail on when each application type will be accepted. An in-depth description of when each application type will be accepted is included in the V5.0 & V5.1 Manufacturer and Industry Guidance. View in Mandarin.
(click to enlarge)
How do I update my products to V5.0 or V5.1?
- V4.4 listed products must be updated to V5.0 or V5.1 by November 30, 2020, or they will be delisted on December 31, 2020.
- V5.0 listed products must be updated to V5.1 by October 15, 2021, or they will be delisted on December 31, 2021.
- V5.0 and V5.1 product update application forms are available on each Submit a Product page. Please note that V5.1 update applications may not be submitted until July 1, 2020, but the application form has been provided for your convenience if you would like to prepare submissions before the acceptance date.
When will V4.4 products be delisted?
If they have not been updated by November 30, 2020, V4.4 products that do not meet the V5.0 Technical Requirements will be delisted on December 31, 2020.
V4.4 listed products that already meet the full V5.0 Technical Requirements will be automatically updated to reflect V5.0 compliance on the QPL on March 30, 2020. No action is required by the manufacturer to perform this update. The DLC will be sending courtesy notifications to all listed manufacturers indicating which of their products are compliant with V5.0. For more details about automatic product updating, please see the V5.0 & V5.1 Manufacturer and Industry Guidance. View in Mandarin.
When will V5.0 products be delisted?
If they have not been updated by October 15, 2021, V5.0 products that do not meet the V5.1 Technical Requirements will be delisted on December 31, 2021. All V5.0 listed products must take action to update their products to V5.1 before the application deadline. V4.4 listed products may be updated directly to V5.1 using the V5.1 update application between July 1 and November 30, 2020. For more details about updating products to V5.1, please see the V5.0 & V5.1 Manufacturer and Industry Guidance. View in Mandarin.
The DLC is happy to assist you with the transition to Technical Requirements V5. Please email email@example.com or call 781-538-6425 and select Option 1 to be connected with the DLC applications team.